Key Features of TABLAB @ Govt Schools
- Multimedia Animations and Activity Apps on Android based tablets
- Plug and Play Lab Trolley with lockable tablet holders and Auto-charging socket
- Wi-fi enabled Tabs with long Battery Life and extended manufacturer’s warranty
What it gives them?
1. Proactive and Enjoyable Learning with increased student involvement
Born with a tough living condition, those children are always hungry for entertainment.
Multimedia animations and play-way android apps open a very exciting world for them to get engaged in the most natural and enjoyable way. It fundamentally increases their willingness to learn and love coming to school for this.
2. Effective Usage with Computer Hardware that really works and works safe & easy!
The tablet based lab with its secure trolley, great battery life and robust hardware become the best answer to all the usage, hardware and electricity problems facing our government school computer labs today.
The tablets run more than 8 to 10 hours on a 30-minute charge and hence the lab runs entire day even in villages that get a few hours of electricity in a day. They need minimal booting/rebooting with robust android, and very rare hardware issues that too covered with direct extended warranty by manufacturer.
3. Reduced Teacher Dependence and Personalized Play-way Learning
The Labs allow students to explore and learn themselves with lesser dependence on the teacher. Remember, children learn gadgets much more quickly than adults. The Labs use this strength to the best learning advantage.
In the ideal win-win situation, the student gets to play around, work and learn with the computer or the tablet, and the teacher becomes a guide to sit and monitor basic discipline.
That’s actually what both of them love to do!
Wish to know more?
More about Labs for Government Schools
A1. True. We have been researching on the reasons why most of the digital learning projects with smart classes and projectors have had limited impact and usage.
What we could understand was:
- Teacher Centric instead of being Student Centric
The Smart Class or the projector or the teaching tools are all basically teacher focused. They are created or conceptualized as a teaching tool with the assumption that only the teacher delivers any learning to the student, which is fundamentally wrong, and if we look deeper, it is completely wrong in the case of government schools.
Practical review of all teacher-laden CSR initiatives and the smart classes have proved that the teacher takes it as an additional burden, where he/she is already struggling with their basic duties. The usage happens only during the launch event or in times of someone visiting.
Otherwise for all practical reasons these teaching tools bit the dust. Therefore, its time we realize that the schools need student centric learning tools and not teacher dependent tools. The teacher needs to transform into a facilitator.
- Electricity, Hardware and Maintenance Issues
Another major issue most smart class solutions face is the computer and projector that is involved in the projects. The first and foremost challenge is the electricity dependence that the computers face, even UPS units offer a few minutes of backup and that too is not uninterrupted.
Secondly, most computers need regular maintenance on both the hardware and the software front, which is a challenge for schools and it usually stays un-repaired once fallen sick.
- Proprietary Software, Licenses and Servers
Thirdly, the fact that most such projects use proprietary software and licenses, and in order to safeguard them, servers and LAN networks are used, and technical support for such systems becomes an issue with dependence on the supplier or paid providers.
The government schools in India are far from such maturity that they can manage such softwares or products. Even private schools in India have suffered and struggled majorly due to this external dependence and licensed software.
Coming to the question how are TabLabs different:
1. Student Centric
The TabLab is a shift from the traditional, “Teacher teaches everything” mindset, to the “I explore, I learn” mindset where teacher becomes a facilitator. Simply put, “We take the hardware out of the trembling teacher’s hands, and place it in the fascinated student’s palm!”
The teacher simply facilitates usage, monitors basic discipline and answers any queries if they come. Rest, students themselves explore, enjoy and learn the concepts with practical applications, animated content and activities in a very interesting manner.
The teachers in government schools are typically scared of using new computer technologies whereas students are perpetually excited and ready to explore new hardware; this is the most powerful difference that labs capitalize on.
2. Most Effective Hardware
The tablet based lab uses the most energy efficient, most easily manageable and least maintenance devices, and therefore answers most of the hardware and technical problems that schools face today. The features like long battery life with only half an hour of charge, easy turn on/off, touch and type both facilities, extended company warranty on tablets make the tablet based lab the most usable and manageable hardware setup for government schools.
3. World of Android Apps, Animation Videos and Open Source LMS
The third best thing about Android devices is the rich content and free learning applications that it comes with. At Gudskool, we have designed our open source Learning Management System on Android in a manner that it can integrate any free/paid content and publish the same for use in the
This ensures best of usage without any technical issues, ease of updation and openness of review for our students. With these aspects in mind, we have designed the Tablet based Interactive Lab solution and we believe that it shall truly answer the long pending learning need at our government schools.
Q2. What are the advantages of the Android based tablets instead of computers in the labs?
A2. The Android based tablet offers some great features to suit the needs and situation of our government schools.
1. Firstly, the most basic and most important advantage is minimum dependence on electricity. The tablets charged once a day for half an hour, can run without electricity for more than 8 to 10 hours, much more than the entire day of school usage.
2. Secondly, it reduces dependence on technical support or windows/operating system support. Android offers best and most easy to use platform for both touch and type based learning
3. Coming to the learning features, Android opens up a great new world of amazing and playful free applications, multimedia videos and content for impactful learning.
4. Another very important and practical advantage is the continuity of learning and familiarity. The government school students are very unlikely to have computers back home but one thing is for sure, “Low cost Android devices are increasingly reaching the lowest wage earners at a lightening speed”
The labs initiate impactful and enjoyable learning to their children using the same Android devices.
Android tablets in schools and Android Phones at Home!
This strongly increases ease of operations, familiarity with the platform and continuity of learning where even if the child can revise and play on the father’s android phone for 15 mins in the evening, it will usher a new era of learning and empowerment to their entire families.