MATH LAB SOFTWARE
Our Math Lab Software is a unique and exciting virtual lab solution for mathematics, which is loved by students and teachers.
It is installed on a computer in the Math Lab/Central Server Room/anywhere in the school, and can be accessed by unlimited number of computers, laptops and Android based tablets in the school campus via LAN/WIFI. The Math lab Software offers practical Math experiments and learning in the school campus via the best of interactive math activities, games and worksheets.
Our Math Lab Software is also available as an online Math Lab that extends to anytime, anywhere Math Lab even outside of school campus.
Key Features & Differentiators
- More than 1200 activities and games for application based experiential Math Learning
- Automatic and printable usage reports to teachers and management for improvement analysis
- Practice Assessments and integrated Math Quiz Maker Software for easy and instant assessment creation by teachers
- Works on unlimited devices in the campus via LAN/WIFI and can be used on Desktops/Laptops/Thin Clients/N Computing and even Android based tablets
What it gives you?
Enjoyable & Practical Math Learning
Your Students shall greatly enjoy playing and exploring more than 1200 Math activities and the Math Lab Software shall make them fall in love with playing and understanding Mathematics the practical way. The Math lab activities are very engaging and structured in a Learn-Practice-Game format to capture student’s attention and ensure learning value
Most Extensive and All-inclusive Math Lab
The Math Lab Software shall offer the most extensive range of Math experiments, activities and assessments to your students and teachers. They shall be able to explore and perform almost every concept in Math curriculum from a fully practical perspective, thereby offering truly effective and meaningful Math Learning.
Anytime, Anywhere Lab Usage
Since we offer you an unlimited computer license, your teachers and students can use it literally anywhere in the campus over LAN/WIFI: in the classroom on smart class hardware, in the computer labs, in the Math Lab, on laptops in the staffroom and even on android tablets. This gives you a truly effective and usable Math lab with tremendous learning impact!
Wish to consider for your school?
More about Math Lab Software?
A1. Simply put, virtual math lab or math lab software is a software based simulation tool to perform experiments and activities in mathematics. It offers a simulated, real life like environment to perform numerous math activities, experiments and explorations through software on computers, laptops and tablets. In schools, this is used as a tool to offer practical exposure to students and enable them to practice, play and perform mathematical experiments around every topic.
But not to confuse it with smart class or animations, it is activity based math software for learning by doing, not videos or animations for seeing.
In short, Virtual Math lab is software for play-way mathematics! Some of the key features that define it are:
Student Centric Software – Installed on Local Server or used Online
Students use the math lab software, individually on computers, laptops or tablets. It is either installed on a local computer/server in school labs and accessed via LAN/WIFI, or is used online where all the math teachers and students get individual math lab login accounts
- Gaming like experience in mathematics
With the playful activities, it offers a gaming like experience to the students for mathematics, thereby generating their natural interest towards usage.
- Combination of lab activities, assessments and reports
A virtual math lab offers a structured combination of math activities, software assessments and automatic reports on usage. Since it is used for guided but individual learning, all the three components are important to ensure the right impact and learning outcomes for the student.
This is what Math Lab Software stands for. After exploring and assisting math labs at some of the best schools in the country and abroad, we at Gudskool believe that the math lab software is here to stay and with the changing student preferences, it is poised to become a very integral and value adding part of practical math learning in schools!
A2. There are various reasons for the need and rise of Virtual Math Labs and Learning Software:
- Need for more Interactive Models – With the advancement in teaching and learning mathematics, the best of teachers have realized that we need more and more practical, engaging and interactive tools to offer meaningful learning to students.
Now, with all their learning value, the physical math lab kits do have some limitations like:
- No Peer Pressure – Limited Number – there is a limit to how many math lab models and kits can be purchased by the school and offered to every student.
- Cost – Limited Number – there is a limit to how many math lab models and kits can be purchased by the school and offered to every student.
- Availability – physical kits and models have been designed for a limited set of topics. A lot of abstract topics in mathematics are such for which physical models or activities are tough to be designed and used in schools.
This is where the scope of a virtual math lab starts. A software based Math Lab addresses all of the above limitations with ease and fun!
- Unlimited Math Activities -there is absolutely no limit to the number of math lab activities in the software that can be designed around for exploration and practice. It brings a different level of richness to practical math learning.
- Affordable – the math lab being virtual, it really brings down the cost of implementation and reuse at schools.
- Availability – Software, like in most other domains too, removes the barriers of availability and design. Math activities are available for even the most abstract topics and different category activities are designed for concepts, practice and gaming too.
2. Student’s ever growing interest in Gamified Ed-Tech
Each one of us has seen the tech-love growing in kids around us! They just love computers, tabs and phones and operate them like a pro, definitely better than us. Therefore with the natural growing affinity to play-way on computers and android, the best of math teachers have realized the importance of gamifying math lab activities, in order to gain attention and engage the students proactively in the learning process.
3. Need for Ease of Use, Monitoring and Performance Analysis
Physical math lab models and experiments have their own infra and arrangement challenges, which restrict the number of experiments that a teacher can practically conduct with every grade in the school time. Therefore too, the need for software based tool for math labs strengthened, to ensure ease of use by teachers and students. A virtual lab can be used anytime, anywhere in the school and if used online, can even be played on at homes!
It also offers automatic reports and analysis for performance improvement, something that is very cumbersome in physical experiments.
A3. Both the Hands-on Math Lab and Software Math Lab hold their respective value in practical math learning. They both have their own capacities and domains, thereby complementing each other in offering meaningful and experiential learning in mathematics.
Since we have explored and observed the Math Lab Software in detail, please find below some of the major advantages that it offers:
By its nature of being a virtual lab, it can include a very wide and extensive range of activities and topics in math experiments. The software offers experiments and activities on even the most abstract topics in mathematics, which are otherwise very difficult to explore using instruments or activities like geometry, Algebra, Equations and LCM.
b. Individual Focus
This is the biggest value add of Math Lab Software in addition to the Hands-on Math Lab – Individual attention and focus! And we shall go a bit in detail to discuss its benefits. Typically, all the kit based math experiments are group experiments where students work together to explore a concept and derive learning out of the practical. But offering individual kits to students is practically and economically not feasible.
That is where the lab software comes in. The school can create unlimited number of accounts, basically a personal Math Lab account for every student,
and the students’ work individually on computers/laptops or tablets to perform math experiments.
There are some very major benefits of this individual learning space:
- No Peer Pressure – When the student is working on a playful activity on the computer by himself, with nobody watching, evaluating or comparing him, that is when the student proactively tries to play more and improve proactively without any external barrier or pressure.
- Learn at your own pace – Students have different pace of learning and that is where one-to-one Math Lab Software suits them best. Every student works on his/her own pace without any comparisons/sensitivities blocking their learning.
- Unlimited repetitions– Another great value that the Software based Lab offers to a child is the flexibility to repeat and perform at his own will. Some student may understand a concept in a single iteration but another may need five iterations to completely gather the concept. The beauty of a Software based Math Lab is that it allows unlimited repetitions in game based format to every child as per his/her satisfaction and with no comparison whatsoever between them. Great Value!
c. Easy to Use
Since computer based learning is easier to manage than kits and instruments, the Math Lab Software becomes a very easy to use solution for conducting instant math experiments. Once the students get comfortable using their login IDs, then it is extremely easy for the teacher to make the students sit in the computer/math lab and let them perform math experiments at ease.
The Math Lab Software activities have been designed in a very playful manner, where the student actually gets a math gaming feel, and therefore the students proactively wish to explore more of the math lab. It excites, engages and involves them naturally, thereby greatly increasing their interest in math learning
e. Easy to Manage and Conduct
Math Lab Experiments are easier for the teacher to conduct on the lab software rather than the physical instruments or kits. For the Hands-on Lab, the teacher has to manage issuing of the kits to each group, ensure the instructions reach every student and then also manage the closure, re-packaging and safety of the math lab kits. But for the Math Lab Software, it becomes much more easier for teachers to conduct experiments without the hardware hassles.
These are some of the major advantages and benefits of virtual, software based Math Lab to schools. As mentioned in the beginning, both the approaches have their respective value, and they strongly complement each other in offering a complete and comprehensive learning in practical mathematics.
Q4. How much actual usage can happen on the Math Lab Software, with limited lab periods and the Math Lab Kits/Hands-on Math Lab also happening?
A4. Very valid question indeed. Although we have been the pioneers in software based math labs, our focus is to research and offer the most usable solution and therefore this question stands very relevant to be discussed.
Typically, a school gives maximum one period per week to a class for Math Lab. Which means around 4 periods in a month. Now, at least two periods out of them are used for the Hands-on Math Lab or kit based experiments that take time. Normally, we have observed that a single experiment spans over two periods.
Therefore, the schools are left with just one or two effective periods in a month for every class. This is barely enough to let students get comfortable with their logins and understand the usage process, forget truly useful and effective practice.
The solution to this exists in the vision of the school management and the hardware setup and planning at the school campus. Since, this is an issue that every school shall face with every software based lab or practical learning tool whether its Math Lab Software, English Language Lab or even Virtual Science Labs, therefore the solution lies in the way and manner in which these labs are being used at schools.
1. Anytime, Anywhere usage – it is true that structured periods have to be allotted for appropriate usage in schools as there are many other activities running including the core curriculum, but ideally the computer hardware has to be planned in a manner that students can access the math lab software from any computing device in the campus, including the computer lab, any tablets or laptops and math lab computers if any. This will additionally facilitate individual student usage whenever the students have free time in computer labs.
2. Online Labs – The best way to ensure most effective usage of math lab software or for any other software lab is by using online for virtual labs. Considering the schools restriction around curriculum and time available, it is increasingly becoming very important to make the software, specially the student centric lab software hardware independent. An online lab has a great advantage of being used anytime, anywhere and even out of school time. It becomes an ideal way of self-practice, individual learning at one’s own pace and enjoyable lab practice even during school vacations.
I have seen great examples with our customer schools, where the math teacher assigns lab activities on the online math lab during weekends and school holidays (which are so many), and the students play and work on the online labs at home and the teacher gets automatic reporting for all student’s usage. It is a great way of extending math lab usage beyond hardware and school time barriers.
3. Increased Time for Tablet/Computer based Labs – with the changing student preferences and orientation towards tech and android, the schools should also consider setting up separate and new labs on tablet platform or computers. The thought is to offer them increased time for individual, guided practice on interactive learning software labs for all subjects. It can be designed as composite labs in addition to the subject specific labs, like the IPad Lab or a Tablab, where students get at least one to two periods per week to explore different subject’s software labs. Although its and
additional investment and also streamlining of timetable, but It can be a great way of offering quality exposure to personalized and practical learning via technology.
These strategies can help schools orient their schedules and infrastructure to offer more time and exposure to the best of virtual labs to their students.